Ribollita, meaning reboiled or re-cooked, is a traditional Tuscan vegetable soup that is thickened with stale bread. The soup increases in flavor each time it is reheated.
- 10.5 ounces (300g) dried Cannellini beans, soaked overnight. Can substitute with great northern.
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 pound 2 ounces (500g) Swiss chard, finely sliced
- 1 pound 12 ounces (800g) kale, finely sliced
- 2 potatoes
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 liter (4 1/4C and 1 3/4 pints) beef stock
- Also a large variety of seasonal produce can be used as well: zucchini, squash, Borlotti beans, edible local herbs.
- Extra virgin olive oil to serve
- 250 grams white country-style bread, 1 cm (1/2 inch) thick.
More top-rated recipes: