Skillet Penne with Sausage and Spinach
Use either hot or sweet Italian-style turkey (or chicken) sausage here. Pork sausage can be substituted, but you will have to drain off the extra fat before adding the pasta. The spinach may seem like a lot at first, but it wilts down substantially. Ziti can also be substituted.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian-style turkey sausage, casings removed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 8 ounces penne
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed and chopped fine
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) bag baby spinach
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (toast in dry pan on medium-low heat. Watch closely and flip often to avoid burning the nuts)
Variation: Skillet Penne with Sausage and Broccoli Omit spinach. Add 8 ounces broccoli florets (3 cups) to skillet after penne has cooked for only 12 minutes, then continue to cook until penne and broccoli are both tender, about 5 minutes longer.
More top-rated recipes: