Filet of Beef with Gorgonzola SauceWendy Smith
This is an expensive main course but it’s special and easy! Serve with Gorgonzola Sauce.
- 1 whole filet of beef (4 to 5 pounds), trimmed and tied
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 3 to 4 oz. Gorgonzola (not creamy or dolce)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
To make beef:
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
Place the beef on a baking sheet and pat the outside dry with a paper towel. Spread butter on with your hands. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for exactly 22 minutes for rare and 25 minutes for medium rare.
Remove beef from oven, cover tightly with aluminum foil and allow it to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Remove strings and slice thickly.
To make sauce:
Bring heavy cream to a full boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, then continue to boil rapidly for 40 -50 minutes until it’s thickened, stirring occasionally.
Remove pan from heat and add Gorgonzola, Parmesan, salt, pepper and parsley. If you must reheat, warm sauce over low heat until melted, then whisk vigorously until sauce comes together.
Have the butcher prepare the beef. Use a thermometer to be sure the oven is 500 degrees.
Source: The Barefoot Contessa