Blue Owl White Chicken ChiliDenise
- 4 cups chopped, cooked chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 4-ounce cans chopped mild green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 16-ounce cans Great Northern white beans
- 6 cups chicken stock or canned broth
- 4 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese (or more -- to taste)
- Sour cream (optional)
Place chicken in heavy stockpan. Add cold water to cover and bring to simmer. Cook until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool. Remove skin. Cut chicken into cubes.
Heat oil in same pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, then chiles, cumin, oregano, and cayenne; sauté 2 minutes. Add undrained beans and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add chicken and cheese to chili; stir until cheese melts. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle chili into bowls and top with sour cream.
* Use about 5 pounds of chicken breasts with bone and skin. * I measure 6 cups of broth (strained) from boiling the chicken, supplementing with canned stock if necessary. * Best made a day or two in advance and heated in crock pot.