Macaroni and CheeseLinda Wilson
Serves 3 or 4
- total time:
- 30 (min.)
- 2 cups elbow macaroni(uncooked)
- 2 T. butter or margarine
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t dry mustard powder
- 2 T flour
- 1/8 t pepper
- 1/4 t paprika
- 2 c. milk
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- sprinkling of onion powder (optional)
- 2 c.diced Velveeta(processed American cheese)about 8oz.
- 1/2 c. bread crumbs mixed with 1 or 2 T melted buter, or 1 fresh sliced tomato
Cook macaroni about 10 minutes; drain and set aside. Melt butter in saucepan, remove from heat and add flour, salt,mustard powder and pepper. Stir until smooth. Add milk and 1 T Worcestershire sauce and onion powder if using. Heat, stirring constantly until sauce starts to thicken and is smooth. Add cheese. Heat, stirring occasionally until cheese is melted. Butter a deep 1 1/2-2 qt. casserole dish and add cooked macaroni. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni and stir. Top with crumbs mixed with butter and paprika, or one sliced tomato. Bake at 325 degrees about 30-45 minutes.
You can also add 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar if you like.
Source: Linda Wilson