Calico Squash CasseroleMary Jacqueline Atkinson
Contributed by: Mary Jacqueline Atkinson Colorful, tasty, and easy, even the kids will go crazy for this creamy and nutritious veggie dish. Perfect for potlucks and family dinners!
- total time:
- 50 min
- 2 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups crushed buttery round crackers*
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (2-4 ounce) jar diced pimento peppers, drained
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large saucepan combine yellow squash, zucchini, onion, green onion, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook over medium heat about 6 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
In a medium bowl combine cracker crumbs and butter. Mix well and spread half of the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
In a large bowl combine soup, water chestnuts, carrots, mayonnaise, pimentos, sage, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Fold in squash mixture and spoon over crumb crust. Sprinkle cheese on top, and then the remaining cracker crumbs.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until firm and heated through.
*For a healthier alternative, toasted chopped pecans can be substituted for the crackers and butter.
Source: Mary Jacqueline Atkinson