JULEKAGA aka CHRISTMAS BREADKate
JULEKAGA - Jule (Yule) Kaga (Cake or Bread) was one of Duncan and Mary’s favorites when they were growing up. It sounds complicated, but Aunt Mary assures me it isn’t, and says smell in the house, and the satisfaction in your belly will be worth it!
- total time:
- 0 Total time about 4 1/2 hours
- 2Tbsp Yeast (Rounded)
- If using ACTIVE DRY YEAST, place the warm water in a pyrex jug (finger warm), add the yeast, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and stir to dissolve the yeast. Leave for 10 minutes for the yeast to activate, and double in volume.
- If using BREAD MACHINE YEAST, add the yeast to the ingredients below, adding the water with the rest of the ingredients.
- 1/4 lb Stick of Softened Butter
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp Cardamom
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 Cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Evaporated Milk
- 1 – 1 1/2 Cups of Flour
- 2 Cups raisins
- 1/4 cup finely chopped citron (to make chopping easier, pour warm water over the citron prior to chopping, pat dry, and the sticky syrup will be gone)
Place softened butter into a bowl. Add the sugar, salt, cardamom and mix. Add the eggs and mix. Add the flour and evaporated milk gradually, beating until smooth.
When the mixture is smooth, add
1 – 1 1/2 Cups of Flour
until the mixture is no longer sticky, and can be kneaded easily. Add this flour gradually, a spoonful at a time as you may not need all of the flour. Equally, if the mixture is sticky after adding all the flour, continue adding a spoonful at a time and kneading until it is no longer sticky.
Cover the bowl with saran wrap and place in a warm place (if rising in the oven: use a damp tea towel and place in the oven warmed to about 200° but turned off) to double, about 1 – 1 1/2 hours. A cool kitchen may take slightly longer. When it has doubled in size, punch the mixture down, place mixture on a board and sprinkle on:
2 Cups raisins
1/4 cup finely chopped citron (to make chopping easier, pour warm water over the citron prior to chopping, pat dry, and the sticky syrup will be gone)
Knead in the fruit, divide the dough, and place into the pans which have been buttered generously.
Bake in 350F oven for 35-40 minutes
Makes 1 2# and 1 1# loaf. 1 1/2 times recipe to make 2 2# loaves.
Source: Mary Davies