JULEKAGA aka CHRISTMAS BREAD
JULEKAGA - Jule (Yule) Kaga (Cake or Bread) was one of Duncan and Mary’s favorites when they were growing up. It sounds complicated, but Aunt Mary assures me it isn’t, and says smell in the house, and the satisfaction in your belly will be worth it!
- 2Tbsp Yeast (Rounded)
- If using ACTIVE DRY YEAST, place the warm water in a pyrex jug (finger warm), add the yeast, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and stir to dissolve the yeast. Leave for 10 minutes for the yeast to activate, and double in volume.
- If using BREAD MACHINE YEAST, add the yeast to the ingredients below, adding the water with the rest of the ingredients.
- 1/4 lb Stick of Softened Butter
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp Cardamom
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 Cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Evaporated Milk
- 1 – 1 1/2 Cups of Flour
- 2 Cups raisins
- 1/4 cup finely chopped citron (to make chopping easier, pour warm water over the citron prior to chopping, pat dry, and the sticky syrup will be gone)
Source: Mary Davies
More top-rated recipes: