Thom Ka SoupSARAH LEONETTI
- 1 t. vegetable oil
- 3 lemon grass stalks, tough outer leaves removed, bottom 5 inches halved lengthwise and sliced thin crosswise
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped coarse
- 3 T. fish sauce
- 4 cups low-so chicken broth
- 2 (14 oz.) cans coconut milk, well shaken
- 1 T. sugar
- 1/2 lb. white mushrooms, cleaned, stems trimmed, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise and sliced on bias into 1/8-inch thick pieces
- 3 T. juice from 2-3 limes
- 2 t. Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 serrano chiles, sliced thin
- 2 scallions, sliced thin on bias
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until just shimmering. Add lemon grass, shallots, cilantro, and 1 tablespoon fish sauce; cook, stirring frequently, until just softened, 2 to 5 mins. (vegetables should not brown), Stir in chicken broth and 1 can coconut milk; bring to simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until flavors have blended, 10 mins. Pour broth through fine-mesh strainer and discard solids in strainer. Rinse saucepan and return broth mixture to pan.
2. Return pan to med-high heat. Stir remaining can coconut milk and sugar into broth mixture and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium, add mushrooms, and cook until just tender, 2 to 3 mins. Add chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until no longer pink, 1 to 3 mins. Remove soup from heat.
3. Combine lime juice, curry paste, and remaining 2 tablespoons fish sauce in small bowl; stir into soup. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro, chiles, and scallions. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
Source: COOK'S ILLUSTRATED