Sbarro Tomato SauceJulie Scherler
Not sure if this is REALLY Sbarro’s sauce, but I got it a while ago from my friend, Karen and it tastes great.
- 2 1 lb 12 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tomato can cold water
- 4 oz grated Romano cheese
- 12 oz olive oil
- 10 oz diced onions
- 1 oz chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 oz chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3 oz sherry cooking wine
- 2 Tbs salt
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp basil
Heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add onions and saute until almost browned. Add garlic.
When garlic is brown, de-glaze pan with sherry. Add parsley and stir.
Add tomatoes, water, cheese, and spices. Mix well.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.