Pineapple Upside-Down CakeCarl Kleinebecker
- total time:
- 40 min
- 1/3 cup reduced-calorie margarine
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can sliced pineapple in juice
- 1/2 (18.25-ounce) package reduced-fat yellow cake mix
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1/3 cup water
- 7 maraschino cherries with stems
Melt margarine in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over low heat. Set aside 1 tablespoon margarine.
Add sugar and pecans to margarine in skillet, stirring well. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Discard remaining juice. Arrange pineapple over sugar mixture.
Combine reserved 1 tablespoon margarine, 1/3 cup juice, cake mix, egg substitute, and water. Beat at low speed of an electric mixer 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Pour batter over pineapple in skillet.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately invert cake onto a serving platter.
Place cherries in centers of pineapple rings.
From the kitchen of: Jenny Craig
Source: Carl Kleinebecker