Captain Morgan’s Caribbean ChiliBarbie Miller
If you want to make an unusual chili this is the recipe for you. A combination of beans, chicken, lime and lime zest, corn and a spicy kick have taken a prize at two chili contests... so go ahead and give it a try!
- 2 1/2 lbs. chicken thigh, cubed
- 4 smoked ham shanks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cans white beans plus liquid
- 3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 oz.) bag frozen corn
- 1 large white onion, rough chopped
- 2 boxes low sodium chicken stock
- 2 large cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 3/4 cup Captain Morgan’s spiced rum
- 1 jar orange marmalade jam
- juice of 2-3 limes
- zest from 2-3 limes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
- cilantro, sour cream, cheese for garnishing
In a large heavy soup pot add the chicken stock and smoked ham hocks. Simmer until the hocks are tender and meat falls off. Remove meat from bones and put back in the stock.
Add all the other ingredients and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
When serving the chili, top with cilantro, sour cream and cheese.
You can omit the smoked ham hocks which will cut down on cooking time and just cook the chicken, add the chicken stock and then all all the other ingredients and cook for 1-1/2 hours.
This is outstanding chili if you are looking for something different. Get a flavor of the Islands with this one! This chili has won two chili contests! I am guessing they liked it... I hope you will too!
Source: Barbie Miller