Apple and Cheddar SaladPamela
- prep time:
- 15 min
- total time:
- 25 min
- 1 sprays olive oil cooking spray
- 4 slice uncooked turkey bacon
- 2 slice mixed-grain bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, coarsely
- 9 oz spinach, baby leaves
- 2 large head endive, Belgian, sliced crosswise 1/2-inch thick (about 3 cups)
- 4 oz low-fat cheddar or colby cheese, cut into thin wedges
- 1 large apple(s), McIntosh, cut into thin wedges
- 6 Tbsp low-fat vinaigrette, balsamic-variety
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook as package directs until crisp, about 4 minutes; remove bacon to a paper towel. Let bacon drain briefly then crumble into bite-size pieces; transfer to a large bowl.
Add bread cubes to same skillet. Cook over medium heat, tossing often, until slightly golden and crisp, about 3 minutes; remove to a plate and set aside. Add walnuts to skillet; cook, tossing often until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer walnuts to bowl with bacon.
Add spinach, endive, cheese, apple and dressing to bowl; toss to mix and coat.
Put about 4 cups of salad mixture on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle each serving with about 3 tablespoons of homemade croutons.