Lupe Tortilla’s FajitasScott Jones
- 2 lbs skirt steaks
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons tequila
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from real limes)
- 1 large white onion, sliced into thin crescents (half rings)
- 3 green bell peppers or assorted color bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Cut the steak into pieces that will fit on your grill, or into your grill pan or skillet.
Place the pieces of meat into a non-reactive bowl.
Mix the garlic, lime juice, cumin, tequila, salt, and 1/3 cup vegetable oil.
Pour over the meat and marinade for 2 hours.
Remove the meat from the marinade and grill over hot coals or in a grill pan or skillet over med-high heat.
Do not allow meat to dry by overcooking.
Heat the remaining 2 tbsp vegetable oil and saute peppers and onions over med-high heat until they are crisp/tender.
Cut the grilled meat into strips and serve with pepper and onion mixture.
Serve with warm flour or corn tortillas.
Can also serve with optional sides: sour cream, avocados, guacamole, salsa, cheese, lettuce, etc.