Legal Sea Food's Light Clam ChowderMartha
- 1 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen clams
- 3 cups fish stock or 2 1/2 cups clam juice mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper to taste
Combine onion, clams, fish stock, bay leaf, and thyme in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, until broth is briny from the clams.
Add celery and carrot, cover, and continue cooking for 25 minutes. Add potato and garlic, cover, and cook 20 more minutes, or until potato is cooked through (total cooking time: 90 minutes).
Taste for salt and add if necessary. Remove bay leaf, add pepper to taste.
Source: Legal Sea Foods - The Way We Cook