Slow-Cooked Achiote Pork ("Cochinita Pibil")
This slow cooker pork dish is delicious and reminds me of our trip to the Yucatan. It was a truly wonderful experience.
- 3 pounds bone-in pork shoulder roast
- 1/2 of a 3.5-ounce package prepared achiote seasoning (I like Yucateco brand adobo de achiote, available in Mexican grocery stores and through Internet sites)
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice (divided use)
- 1/2 1-pound package banana or plantain leaves, defrosted if frozen (optional), available in Mexican or Asian markets
- 1 large white onion, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- About 1/2 cup Fresh Hot Chile Salsa or Mexican hot sauce
Source: Rick Bayless, "Mexican Everyday"
More top-rated recipes: