korean beef bowlmaria Lourdes
- vkorean beef rice bowl
- Servings: 4 Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
- You can use many types of beef, including ground beef, sirloin, flank steak, tenderloin trimmings -- or change this recipe to include other meats such as ground pork, ground turkey, chicken. If you want to go vegetarian, use very firm tofu, cut into cubes. The dish includes cooked rice - please feel free to use whatever rice you want - brown rice, jasmine rice, short grained rice. In a pinch, use basmati. Typical Korean style rice is short-grained. At the market, just look for “short-grained” or sushi rice. Different rice has different cooking times and rice:water ratios, so read the package directions carefully.
- 2 cups raw rice
- 1 pound beef (see headnote)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks (or 1 cup matchstick cut carrots)
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 handfuls of spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
1. Cook the rice according to package instructions. See How to Cook Perfect Rice recipe on Steamy Kitchen. If using basmati, see this recipe.
2. For the beef, if using flank steak: Cut the steak into very thin slices ACROSS the grain. If using other steak: Cut the steak into very small cubes, about 1/2-inch. If using ground beef: leave as-is.
3. In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and brown sugar. Add the beef and toss to coat. Let marinate while you prep the vegetables. Steps 1 and 2 can be done ahead of time up to 1 day before.
4. Heat a large saute pan or wok on medium heat. When hot, swirl in the oil. Add the onions and saute for 1 minute. Turn the heat to high and give it just a few seconds to heat up. Add in the beef, spreading the beef all over the surface of the pan, tossing with the onions. Saute for 2-3 minutes until just barely pink.
5. Add in the carrots, zucchini and toss. Cook for 1 minute. Toss in the spinach and cook for an additional minute. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with rice.
print recipe share email facebook twitter
Source: maria Lourdes