Crispy Chinese Lemon ChickenBethany trimble
- 4 T vegetable oil
- 1/2 c unflavored breadcrumbs
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 1 T (about a 1-inch piece) fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 T sesame seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/4 c soy sauce
- 2 T honey
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 4 turns of the pan of vegetable oil, about 4 tablespoons. In a large, re-sealable plastic bag, mix together the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, ginger, sesame seeds, some salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the bag and toss well to evenly coat the chicken (give each piece a good press with the crumbs to make sure the coating sticks).
Lay the chicken pieces in the hot skillet and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 7-8 minutes. As the chicken pieces finish, transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate.
When the chicken is almost ready, whisk together the soy sauce, lemon juice and honey with a little splash of water in a small bowl. Serve the chicken with the dipping sauce.