Broccoli Soup with Ham and Swiss ToastsBecky wood
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 lg onion chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 small.yukon gold potatoes-peeled and finely chopped
- 1 bunch broccoli chopped into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 thick slice of ham cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- One 1 -lb loaf of ciabatta bread, split and each half cut into quarters.
1.In lg saucepan,heat olive oil over med-heat.Add onion,season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often until softened about 7 min. Add the potatoes and 3 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil.Lower heat and simmer for 5 min. Add the broccoli, cover and cook just until tender about 7 min. Using a blender, puree half the soup: Combine with the other half. Stir in 2 cups shredded cheese, then stir in the cream. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm over low heat.
2. Preheat the broiler. In a med. bowl using a fork, combine the remaining 2 cups cheese, the ham, and mayo. Season with pepper. Spread the mixture on the bread and broil until bubbly and golden. Serve the toasts with the soup.