Pasta E Fagioli Con SalsicciaCasey Trayler
Authentic Italian meal, perfect for fall or winter.
- prep time:
- 15 minutes
- cook time:
- 15 minutes
- total time:
- 30 minutes
- other time:
- Beans soak overnight
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 lb. Isernio’s mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely shopped
- 1 1/2 C. dried cannellini beans, soak overnight in 3 C. water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 TB kosher salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb. Ditalini pasta
- 5 C. homemade or premium quality chicken stock
Cooking Instructions for Dried Beans
The best cookware to use for beans is a heavy metal pot or saucepan made of stainless steel, cast aluminum or cast iron. After soaking the beans overnight, drain them and add fresh water to the cooking pot according to the package cooking instructions. Bring the beans to a boil, and then lower the heat and simmer for 60-90 minutes, or until the beans are tender.
Be sure to read the cooking instructions on the package of beans, as cooking times may vary. Check the beans occasionally while cooking because they sometimes will cook more quickly than the package indicates. Please note that when cooking beans, be sure to always simmer. Excessive boiling may cause the cooking liquid to overflow, as well as the beans to break apart and the skins to separate. When dried beans cook, foam will naturally form on the top of the cooking liquid. This foam is water-soluble protein released from the beans and it will be absorbed back into the bean cooking liquid so it is not necessary to remove.
Pasta and Sauce
1. In a large pot, heat 1 TB of EVOO over medium heat. Add the sausage and break up with a spoon into 1/2" pieces to cook. Turn sausage until browned and cook thoroughly for about 10 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside for use later.
2. Heat the remaining 1 TB of EVOO in the same pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic. Stir occasionally, until the onions start to soften in about 10 minutes. Then, add the 5 C. of chicken stock, cooked whole beans, bay leaf, and salt and pepper. Bring all these ingredients to a boil. reduce heat and simmer, partially covered; for 15 minutes.
3. Cook pasta according to the package instructions, drain and stir the cooked pasta into the ingredients above once they have finished simmering. Remove the bay leaf and stir in the sausage. Cook until the sausage is warmed thoroughly for about 1 minute. Place in either a large serving bowl or individual serving bowls.
Source: Seattle Italian Festival