tomato minestrone soup with garlic bread croutonsrobin
- prep time:
- 20 minutes
- cook time:
- 20 minutes
- total time:
- 40 minutes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 lb. pancetta (diced)
- 1 lb. zucchini (seeded,cut in strips and chopped)
- 2 stalks celery with leafy tops (finely chopped)
- 1 sm carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- salt & pepper
- 32 ounce chicken stock (4 cups)
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans (rinsed)
- 1 15 ounce can tomato puree
- 1/2 lb. mini penna
- a handful basil torn in pieces
- baguette bread (thick sliced)
- 1 stick butter (melted)
- 1 lb. fresh asiago cheese (shredded)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- olive oil
in soup pot heat olive oil over medium high. add pancetta cook until browned. add zucchini, celery, carrots, onions, bay leaf and 2 cloves garlic. season with salt and pepper and cook until vegetables are tender 7 to 8 minutes.
stir in chicken stock, beans and tomato puree. bring to a boil. add pasta and cook until al dente. stir in basil and lower heat to low. cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
garlic bread croutons
turn broiler on high. place baguette slices on cookie sheet drizzle with olive oil broil until light brown. remove from oven flip over on other side let cool for 5 minutes.
add minced garlic to butter mix well. spread on untoasted side of baguettes. add asiago cheese, place under broiler until golden brown.
serve with soup.