African Peanut StewKaitie northey
I grew up in Cameroon, West Africa and lived there until I was 18 and came to America to go to college. We had peanut sauce with many things – chicken, fish, vegetables, and beef. Peanuts were a source of protein for us and for the Africans as cattle didn’t do well in Cameroon with the tsetse fly and other parasites. Now, as vegetarians, we love it. And “African Peanut Sauce” is a reminder of my exotic childhood in a beautiful, simple country. Vanessa went to Cameroon in 2009 and found some remnants of our life there – the beaches which are so beautiful, the mountainous area where we went to school, a church where my father was pastor for a time. Enjoy! - Debby
- 1 c. of onions, diced (about one onion)
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 4 -5 gloves of garlic
- 1 c. peanut butter (good quality like “Teddy”)
- 1 sm. can of tomato paste
- 1 cn of water (for rinsing out the tomato paste can)
- Two more cups of water, vegetable broth or chicken broth.
- Carrots, diced
- Cauliflower, chopped
- Zucchini, cabbage or any vegetables you enjoy.
- If not vegetarian, add browned beef or chicken.
Source: Stan, Debby and Vanessa