- prep time:
- 20 minutes
- cook time:
- 30 minutes
- total time:
- 55 minutes
- Olive oil spray
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) box fiber-enriched ziti or penne rigate
- 1 (15-ounce) container fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 large egg whites
- 8 ounces (4 cups) finely shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3 1/2 cups low-fat, low-sodium, marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly mist a 13“ x 9” x 2" ceramic or glass baking dish with the olive oil spray.
Cook the ziti according to package directions until al dente. Drain.
In a large mixing bowl, mix the ricotta, egg whites, and all but 1 cup of the mozzarella until well combined. Add the garlic powder and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir in the cooked pasta until well combined.
Spread 1 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the prepared dish.
Add half of the pasta in an even layer over the sauce.
Layer the remaining pasta over the sauce. Spoon the remaining 1 1/2 cups sauce evenly over the top of the pasta, then sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and the Parmesan over the top.
Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 10 minutes longer, or until the mozzarella is melted. Let stand 5 minutes.
Per serving: 350 calories, 22 g protein, 57 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat (3 g saturated), 20 mg cholesterol, 8 g fiber, 429 mg sodium