Nordstrom Cafe' Tomato Basil SoupKatie
The BEST tomato basil soup around!
- 12 cups canned peeled plum tomatoes
- 3 lbs carrots, chopped
- 3 lbs onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons dry basil
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 gallons water
- 1 lb chicken base
- 3 quarts heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons black pepper
1) In a large stock pot, sautee the olive oil, carrots, and onions at medium heat for 15 minutes.
2) Add the basil, salt, pepper, and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
3) In a large bowl, whisk the chicken base into the water until dissolved.
4) Add the water mixture to the stock pot, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 45 minutes.
5) Puree the soup using a hand blender while adding the heavy cream until it reaches a thin consistency.