On The Border Chicken Tortilla SoupMeredith Blanzaco
Cheap, easy, delicious
- 1/2 c. On the Border salsa - 2 large ripe avocados, mashed with 3 T. salsa
- 3 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts - 4 T. uncooked rice
- 1/2 c. onion
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup shredded yellow squash
- 1/2 c. finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 c. shredded Monterey jack cheese
- broken tortilla chips
Heat chicken broth to boil in a large saucepan. Add chicken breast halves, reduce heat and cook until chicken is opaque.
Remove chicken and cut into bite size pieces. Add salsa and rice to broth. Cook about 15 minutes until rice is tender.
Return chicken to sauce pan, add onion and veggies. Simmer 5 minutes.
Just before serving add remaining onion and cilantro. To serve, break a small handful of On the Border chips into bottom of each bowl. Ladle soup over tortilla chips. Top with cheese and 1 rounded scoop of avocado.
Source: On The Border