Red Snapper with Maya Citrus Salsa (Xec)Audra
A delicious, healthy, easy and impressive recipe from the Yucatan. My friend Sara made for during Passover seder.
- prep time:
- 15 minutes
- cook time:
- 10 minutes
- total time:
- 25 minutes
- 1 orange
- 1 small grapefruit
- 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 habanero or other chili, seeded and minced, or to taste (optional but go for it!)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 red snapper fillets, 4 to 6 ounces each, preferably skin on (and scaled)
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Cut orange in half horizontally and section it as you would a grapefruit; do this over a bowl to capture all its juice. Remove seeds and combine flesh and juice in bowl. Repeat with grapefruit and lemon. Stir in cilantro, habanero and salt.
2. Put oil in a nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium high heat. A minute later, add fish, skin side down; season top with salt. Cook until skin begins to crisp, 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to oven. Cook another 3 or 4 minutes, or until a thin-bladed knife meets little resistance when inserted into thickest part of fish. Serve fish with xec, immediately.