Veggie Chili (from Looney Spoons Cookbook)Yvonne
**I made this and served it over Brown Basmati Rice, with Parmesan sprinkled on top. I LOVED it! - Wendy MacDonald Kennedy
- 1 1/4 c.coarsely chopped onions
- 1 c.each of chopped sweet red and green peppers, celery,and chopped carrots
- 3 Cloves garlic,minced
- 1Tbsp.chili powder
- 1 1/2c. quartered mushrooms
- 1c.cubed zucchini
- 1(28oz) can tomatoes, undrained and cut
- 1(19oz) can black beans,drained and rinsed
- 1(19oz) can chickpeas,drained and rinsed
- 1(19oz) can kernel corn, undrained
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. each of dried oregano and basil
- 1/2 tsp.dried cayenne to taste
Spray a large pot with non-stick cooking spray, add onions,peppers,celery,carrots,garlic,and chili powder.
Cook over medium-low heat,stirring often until vegetables are softened(approx.8-10mins)
Add mushrooms,zucchini,cook and stir for 4 more mins., add tomatoes,beans,chickpeas,corn(with liquid),cumin,oregano,basil,and cayenne pepper.
Stir well, cover and simmer over low heat for 20-30mins., stirring occasionally.
Makes 8 servings
per 1 1/4 cup serving: Calories: 190 Fat: 1.9 g Protein: 9.1 g Carbohydrates: 38 g