- prep time:
- 10 minutes
- cook time:
- 20 minutes
- total time:
- 30 minutes
- 1 lb. spaghetti, linguine, or other thin dried pasta
- 2 cans (2 lbs. 3 oz each) peeled Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/2 cup tiny black Nicoise olives
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 8 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tsp salt
Bring 4 quarts of water to boil in a large pot. Add salt and stir in the spaghetti. Cook until tender but still firm. Drain immediately when done and transfer to 4 heated plates.
While spaghetti is cooking, drain the tomatoes, cut them crosswise into halves, and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
Combine tomatoes and olive oil in a skillet and bring to a boil. Keep the sauce at a full boil and add remaining ingredients except pasta, one at a time, stirring frequently.
Reduce the heat slightly and continue to cook for a few minutes, or until the sauce has thickened to your liking. Serve immediately over hot pasta and garnish with additional chopped parsley.
Source: The Silver Palate Cookbook