Freezer Stuffed PeppersSarah
IngredientsPeppers and Stuffing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 8 ounces ground beef, preferable 85 percent lean
- 4 ounces hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 4 teaspoons)
- 2 cups leftover cooked rice (or Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 4 medium red bell peppers, halved through stem end (stem left intact), cored, and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Table salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, until shimmering. Cook onion until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add beef, sausage, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook, breaking meat into small pieces with wooden spoon, until meat begins to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Drain mixture in colander for 1 minute.
Transfer meat mixture to large bowl and mix with rice, tomatoes, mozzarella, Parmesan, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 20 minutes.
Spoon filling evenly into bell peppers.
Wrap each pepper individually with 2 layers of plastic wrap and 1 layer of foil. Place in baking dish and freeze until firm. Transfer to zipper-lock freezer bag and freeze.
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Cut 8 pieces of foil large enough to just cover stuffing in peppers and coat with cooking spray. Unwrap peppers and cover filling sides with new foil squares. Using skewer poke several holes through foil. Place peppers foil-side down over vents of slotted broiler pan top set over broiler pan bottom. Brush peppers with oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake until peppers are spotty brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Flip peppers filling-side up, remove foil, and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
White Bean Variation
In step 1, omit beef and sausage. Cook onion, salt, and pepper until onion is golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Do not drain. Stir in one 16-ounce can drained and rinsed cannellini beans, then stir into rice mixture.
Source: Cook's Illustrated