Soups - Killer Vegetable SoupJana
A VERY hearty ground beef vegetable soup. I am asked for the recipe quite often, but until then, I just always ’threw it together’.
- prep time:
- 30 minutes
- total time:
- 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 lbs ground beef - 93% lean
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp Ms Dash
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 carrots, cut in quarter-inch pieces
- 1 good-sized potato, coarsely cubed
- 1 small head cabbage or 2/3 large head - cut into wedges
- 8 oz (1/2 bag) frozen corn
- 8 oz (1/2 bag) frozen, cut green beans
- 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 64 oz can Del Monte tomato juice
- 1 64 oz can Campbell Healthy Choice tomato juice
Brown ground beef and onion. Season with the salt, Ms Dash, and pepper. Add carrots as soon as you have been able to get the ground beef manageable. If I use 93% lean beef, I do not drain.
Gently mix in cabbage and potato, cover, and steam on low for 5 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes and Del Monte tomato juice and half of the Healthy Request. Bring to boil, cover, and cook on low for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
As you make your way through the soup, add the rest of the Healthy Request tomato juice as needed before reheating. We usually end up adding all of it by the time we’ve eaten the last bowls.
I wash, but do not peel, the carrots and potato. Options: cornbread, cheesy cornbread, grated cheddar cheese, crackers... and MILK!