Tres Leches Cake with Dulce de Leche(Caramel)Annerys
- Cake Ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- Tres Leches Mixture:
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed
- One 12-ounce can whole evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 or 1/2 cup light rum(you’ll really taste the rum with 1/2 cup)
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dulce de Leche(Caramel)
1. Preheat the oven to 325°.
2. Butter a 9 X 13 inch square baking pan.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder.
4. Seperate egg whites and egg yolks in different bowls.
5. In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the egg whites at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
6. In another large bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar at medium speed until pale and thick, about 3 minutes.
7. Beat the egg whites and the dry ingredients into the egg yolk mixture until smooth.
8. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove cake from pan and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
In the meantime wash the pan.
10. In a big enough bowl, whisk the condensed milk with the evaporated milk, heavy cream and rum.
11. Poke A LOT of little holes(go crazy) with toothpicks.
12. Pour some of the mixture in the pan, place cake back in pan and then pour remaining mixture over the cake.
13. Cover and refrigerate the cake overnight.
* * MAKE FROSTING AND USE DULCE DE LECHE(Caramel) THE NEXT DAY * *
Place the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla into the bowl of a stand mixer. Preferably using the whisk attachment, whisk together on low. Change to medium speed and whisk until thick. Spread the topping over the cake then drizzle as much of the dulce de leche(caramel)that you want on top and allow to chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
GOODLUCK! Let me know how it works out.