Chicken Noodle SoupLinda Wilson
After going over several different soup recipes, I devised this one.
- total time:
- 40 min
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 c chopped celery
- 1/4 c butter or margarine
- 12 c cold water
- 1 c diced carrots
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes (OR 3 t Penzey’s chicken soup base)
- 1 chicken carcass (if you have one)in a cheesecloth bag
- 1/2 t thyme
- 1/2 t marjoram
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1 t Wylers Shakers chicken/garlic seasoning (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 c cut up, cooked chicken
- 1/2 of 12oz. pkg. med. egg noodles
- 1 T chopped parsley
In large Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add water, carrots, bouillon(or Penzey’s soup base)chicken carcass in bag(if using),thyme, marjoram, pepper , Wylers seasoning(optional)and bay leaf. Cover. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer , covered about 30 minutes if not using carcass, or 1 hour if using carcass. Remove bay leaf and carcass. Stir in cut up chicken. Add noodles and parsley. Cook 10 more minutes until noodles are done, stirring occasionally.
Instead of cooked chicken, you can cut up 2 lbs. uncooked skinless chicken breast and add to soup when adding water in the beginning.
Source: Linda Wilson