Aunt Kathy’s CakeMary Morrison
From the kitchen of: Katherine O’Keefe
IngredientsVanilla Sponge Cake
- 1/2 cup butter (for Ellie use Fleishman’s green label)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs (for Ellie substitute 1 1/2 TBSP water, 1 1/2 TBSP oil mixed with 1 tsp baking powder)
- 2 cups flour
- a little more than 2 tsp baking powder
- a little less than 2/3 cup milk (use water for Ellie)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP butter (for Ellie use Fleishman’s green label)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Dash vanilla extract
- Heavy cream (omit for Ellie)
All ingredients should be at room temperature before you begin.
Cream butter & sugar then add eggs 1 at a time.
Sift together flour and baking powder.
Gradually add flour & milk to butter mixture. Add vanilla.
Pour into greased and floured pan.
Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
Allow to cool before icing with Butter Cream Frosting.
Cream butter & 1/2 cup of sugar then stir in vanilla.
Add cream and remaining sugar, alternating. Combine until smooth.
Beth’s favorite. Serve with hot tea and good conversation. Instructions include egg and dairy-free option for Ellie.
Source: Mary Morrison