Greek-Style Stuffed ZucchiniMarah
This is a great meal to make for company because you can make it ahead of time, up to the point of stuffing the zucchini, which you can then put in the fridge under plastic wrap (for a few hours, or even the night before).
- 6 medium zucchini
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 1/4 cup dry white or red wine
- 1 small can chopped tomatoes
- 1 TB tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp marjoram, rosemary, or thyme
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
1) Preheat oven to 375°.
2) Slice zucchini in half length-wise. With the tip of a sharp paring knife, cut 1/4“ border around the flesh. Scoop out flesh leaving 1/4” shell. Reserve flesh and finely chop.
3) Arrange shells cut side up on oiled baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and drain.
4) Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and red pepper. Add zucchini. Cook, stirring often, until softened, ~5 minutes.
5) Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add lamb and cook until there are no signs of pink, 3-5 minutes. Skim excess fat. Add wine and simmer until evaporated, ~5 more minutes.
6) Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 30 minutes.
7) Add feta and olives, fill each shell with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of lamb. Arrange on oiled baking sheet, sprinkle with parmesan and bake for 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Source: Sarah Moulton