All-American Beef Chili
This chili can be garnished with a wide array of condiments including diced avocado, sliced scallions, chopped red onion, chopped cilantro, sour cream, and shredded cheddar cheese. If you like your chili spicy, consider using a little more cayenne pepper.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds (85 percent lean) ground beef
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans dark red kidney beans,rinsed
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree
We discovered that a combination of diced tomatoes and tomato puree worked best to create a desirably thick consistency for this chili. Also, we found that leaving the lid on for half of the cooking time helped give us that perfect chili thickness.
Source: Americas Test Kitchen
More top-rated recipes: