Zesty Wheat Berry-Black Bean Chili
Wheat berries are a great and hearty addition to this chili. You won’t even miss the meat!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 2 14-ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 cups Cooked Wheat Berries
- Juice of 1 lime
Wheat berries can be frozen in 2 cup bags and used for up to 6 months.
Source: "After dinner sit a while, and after supper walk a mile."
More top-rated recipes: