Hot Dog on a StickKayla
- 8-10 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 8-10 turkey hot dogs
- 5 pars chopsticks
1. Preheat oil in a deep pan or fryer to 375°F.
2. Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, & baking soda in a large bowl.
3. Add the milk & egg yolks to the dry ingredients & mix with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth.
4. Dry off the hot dogs with a paper towel. Jab the thin end of a single chopstick about halfway into the end of each hot dog.
5. When the oil is hot, tip the bowl of batter so that you completely coat each hot dog. Roll the hot dog in the batter until it is entirely covered.
6. Hold the hot dog up by the stick & let some of the batter drip off. Quickly submerge the hot dog in the oil & spin it slowly so that the coating cooks evenly. After about 20 seconds you can use a lid to the deep fryer or pan to put weight on the stick, keeping the hot dog fully immersed in the oil. You can cook a couple dogs at a time this way.
7. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until coating is dark brown. Turn them once or twice as they cook. Drain on paper towels while cooling & repeat with the remaining hot dogs.
Source: Top Secret Recipes